Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 27 of 27

Thread: Constructive criticism required

  1. #21
    Inactive Member LDGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 30th, 2004
    Posts
    382
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The only thing I can suggest is running it through the mix cold, and then warming it up with some sort of compression or preamp before you get do your recorder. Of course, if your using a computer/sequencing program, it'll have in built compressing VST effects.

    Can you post another clip but much quieter so we can see what your drums sound like without the distortion (even though it's quite mild). It might be easier to analyse the problem (ie., from what it sounds like now, it could easily be your mics, and not your mixer that's the problem; it could also be to do with any mic preamps your running your inputs through; EQing could sort it; etc., IMO it's difficult to tell).

    EDIT: Nice drums, BTW [img]wink.gif[/img]

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ February 18, 2005 05:30 PM: Message edited by: LDGuy ]</font>

  2. #22
    Inactive Member Lee Collins's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 14th, 2004
    Posts
    1,253
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by LDGuy:


    Can you post another clip but much quieter so we can see what your drums sound like without the distortion (even though it's quite mild).EDIT: Nice drums, BTW [img]wink.gif[/img]

    <font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ February 18, 2005 05:30 PM: Message edited by: LDGuy ]</font></font>
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, this one was recorded before the other one and played a bit softer. I noticed there isn't much clipping if any. But I'd like to be able to play a little harder and not have that distortion.

    http://jamesseph.phpwebhosting.com/DRuM's%20Stuff/Test%20levels1.mp3

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ February 18, 2005 07:55 PM: Message edited by: Rudy_Ment ]</font>

  3. #23
    Inactive Member Lee Collins's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 14th, 2004
    Posts
    1,253
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    .oops double posting.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ February 18, 2005 07:54 PM: Message edited by: Rudy_Ment ]</font>

  4. #24
    Inactive Member Lee Collins's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 14th, 2004
    Posts
    1,253
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    .

  5. #25
    Inactive Member Henry II's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 6th, 2005
    Posts
    696
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Rudy_Ment:
    Haha, I WISH I was a teenager again. [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
    Henry, it was recorded with one sony mic pointed at the kit and a minidisc. So yeah, it sounds flat.
    100% agree with you on me rushing those fills a bit. Thank you for the comments, I'm taking them all onboard to be dealt with [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Never underestimate the value of practicing with a metronome. Although I'm a believer in living breathing music, a drummer should be able to keep metronomic time, if he wants to. In my experience, everyone rushes their fills until they learn to be mindful of it. (I tend to drag my time AND rush my fills). A metronome will keep you focused on the time. Once you learn "what it feels like" to burry the click, it's much easier to keep steady time without it.

  6. #26
    Inactive Member Henry II's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 6th, 2005
    Posts
    696
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by LDGuy:
    That is a genuine Gadd lick.

    Check it out - about a quarter of the way through he uses the exact same lick we've all been talking about.

    Great Gadd playing, too... http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/S...llective2.html

    [img]cool.gif[/img]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">He's playing veriations on a 6 stroke roll: RllrrL (caps are accented).

  7. #27
    Inactive Member MethodAir's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 8th, 2001
    Posts
    135
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey Rudy. I listened to 'Test levels'...it had more presence, so I think you are going in the right direction. If I'm demoing drum chops, sometimes I'll set up a DV camera with a condensor mic, then compress it later and get surprisingly good results. For other applications, I leave the recording details up to my brother Zander, who is a sound engineer, and generally he prefers to track to 2" analog tape.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ February 19, 2005 01:31 PM: Message edited by: MethodAir ]</font>

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •